Skip to main content

Raagas that enriched my soul

The beginning of the year 2014 was filled with worries and sadness for me. Every day was just passing by and I completed my part time job. I had nothing else to do other than taking care of myself. It hurts when you get injured because of something else and it was not your fault. Worries occupied me completely.
One of my hobby is to paint. I started to paint but worries and sadness would not go away. Slowly arrived , the month of March. My parents called my uncle and aunt, we went out for lunch on my birthday, I was a little happy at that moment but started to feel low again. My uncle called my dad the next day and asked us to join them for a concert at vanaranga. It was a Sarod-Veena jugalbandi from Pandit Rajeev Taranath and Veene Vidwan D.BalaKrishna. D.Balakrishna is the son and disciple of  Veene Doreswamy Iyengar and is an authentic practitioner of the Mysoorubaani in veene. The percussionists were Vidwan Anooru Ananthakrishna Sharma on the Mridanga and Pandit Udayaraj Karpur on Tabla . I can never say "no" to such concert and my family knew it.
Pic taken by me at vanaranga
Vanaranga is truly a magical place for me. It is open air and surrounded by trees. There was a huge crowd already as we found our place to sit. The evening started with the refreshing jugalbandi of Hindustani and Carnatic music. The union of Yaman Kalyan and Kalyani pulled my soul completely towards the music. The raaga taana pallavi and the alaap jod gat were into play and the entire crowd became silent. Just the raagas and the humble exchange of thoughts by the maestros were an inspiring delight. It was followed by the raaga Keeravani which was even more magical. It was genuine and splendid. There was a huge applaud and that was when I came back to reality. The musical experience was peaceful and pristine . I was filled with positivity, my confidence boosted and most importantly I was happy.

There were no tickets for the show. There was a counter where you could pay how much ever you wanted for the Taranath foundation or not. They were even accepting Rs.10/- from the audience and were providing a receipt. Such a humble gesture and an encouragement for music lovers! This experience drove away the worries and sadness I had . I went home and started to apply for jobs in Bangalore. I was confident and found a job in Bangalore this year. With the help of  the site  https://housing.com/lookup I was able to find a home with confidence in Bangalore. I still cherish the moments I spent in Mysore especially the raagas which enriched my soul.
Jahnavi

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Esha manohari raga

Esha manohari raga is the janma raga of 28th melakartha hari kamboji. This is a sampoorna, vakra sampoorna janya raga. Apart from shadja and panchama, chatushruthi rishabha, antara gandhara, shuddha madhyama, chatushruthi daivatha and kaishiki nishada are the swara sthanas. The beauty of this raga is indescribable. The popular kritis in this raga are manasa Sri Rama chandruni by Thyagaraja, Sri gananatham bhajare by muthuswami dikshit, himagirisha manonmani by muthiah bhagawathar, shambho gangadhara by Gopala Krishna Bharathi.

She - A woman

Image source: http://lilliemcferrin.com/five-sentence-fiction-isolated/ She began a new life with a family in the name of marriage. A family where women were considered men if they had given birth to a male child. She received the portent and tried to impress them but, the only way to impress them was to starve and become lame. "I was not born for this" she thought. She was isolated for the rest of her life for she was a woman. Jahnavi.K.J written for Lillie McFerrin's five sentence fiction .

Zodiac signs

Zodiac signs' dictionary meaning is: "an imaginary area of the sky containing the positions of the sun, the moon and the main planets, divided into 12 equal parts, named after 12 groups of stars. It is interesting to see how these stars effect the life of each individual living on Earth. This study of stars is an ancient science which rises curiosity in everyone. The study depends on the date of birth of the individual in the western countries and on the birth star in the Hindu astrology. The zodiac signs plays a vital role in match making and other aspects in Indian arranged marriage. Some people have strong beliefs in the forecast of these zodiac signs. However I do not believe in the predictions of the zodiac signs :) Jahnavi Participating in A to Z challenge